Over the past 18 months, The Little Gin & Rum Company has seen some BIG changes. Probably most notable is the introduction of virtual tastings. In a time where we couldn’t get together to enjoy our favourite tipples, online gin tasting became a steadfast form of entertainment for many friends, families and colleagues during the pandemic.
Virtual gin tastings have become such a popular way to connect, that we have a whole team of dedicated virtual hosts ready to take you on a ginny-journey, right from the comfort of your own home!
We caught up with one of our long ‘serving’ (see what we did there?) hosts, Abigail Beddin to see what life is like as a virtual host.
1. Besides being a host for The Little Gin & Rum company, what else do you do?
I am currently a student at Oxford Brookes studying history. When I am not studying, I love learning how to make new cocktails for my friends or playing tennis!
2. You must be a big gin fan! What made you decide to become a host?
Gin is one of the best spirits out there and becoming a tasting host was a great way for me to learn more about all things gin! Being a host has been a great experience especially over lockdown as I have still been able to speak to so many people about gin. It has really helped me feel connected in a very isolating time.
3. What’s your favourite part of being a host?
I really enjoy meeting those taking part in tastings. Every group is different – for example one day it might be a hen do, and the next it is a corporate group celebrating meeting a sales target! You never quite know what you’re going to get!
4. During the pandemic life changed a lot for The Little Gin & Rum Company and we began hosting virtual events. How did you find the switch to virtual life, and what was your favourite part of running virtual sessions
My highlight of running these tastings during the various lockdowns and throughout the pandemic was that despite having to stay in, I still got to meet lots of different people from all over the country! I have also gotten to know about a lot of gins from other distilleries, especially when discussing what customer’s favourite gins are.
5. Can you tell us a bit about your favourite event / funniest story whilst being a host (either virtual or in person)
One of my most favourite virtual events was a reunion of women who had all gone to university together. They had each bought matching university shirts just for the occasion and enjoyed recounting their student stories together online. They absolutely loved the gin and just seemed genuinely glad that they could all be drinking together despite not being able to get together face to face.
6. What can people expect and experience if they book a hosted event with The Little Gin & Rum Company?
I would say to expect a session filled with great gins, fun facts delivered in a light-heart environment.
7. What’s your favourite Queen Cleo spirit, and how do you take it?
8. What gins would you always have on your gin shelf (other than our own of course!) / any favourites at the moment?
You can’t beat a really fruity gin especially in the summer so I love to drink the Gordon’s peach gin. But for a real classic I love Hendricks, the cucumber garnish makes all the difference.
Connect with your friends, family, clients or colleagues in a fun, informal, virtual setting – with lashings of gin, rum or cocktails! Our virtual tasting experiences can be enjoyed from the comfort of your own home! Contact us today to organise your virtual tasting experience.